If you ever needed the motivation to stop eating processed and junk food, Dr. Robert Lustig is happy to give you the facts that will scare the sugar out of your diet. Listen in as this renowned neuroendocrinologist reveals to Gabby and Neil just how much the food industry has made us addicts to food that is killing us. As he puts it, “the corporations have hacked our bodies and diets.”
Learn Dr. Lustig’s tips on what you can do to recognize where sugar is slithering into foods that most people think of as “healthy.” And find out his answer on who to trust when it comes to healthy-eating advice. Have a notepad ready, because there are plenty of takeaways. This interview will change the way you eat forever.
A Few of Dr. Lustig’s Health Tips
- Significantly cut down on sugar: it creates liver fat, causes wrinkles, and stimulates the reward center in your brain (continuing your craving).
- Don’t use Body Mass Index (BMI) to determine whether you are in good health or not. Waist circumference is a better measurement.
- Fiber is the stealth nutrient, so be sure to eat more of it—and eating your fiber is better than juicing.
- Even if you look and feel physically fit, a high-sugar and low-fiber diet is certain to give you fatty liver disease.
- And practice Dr. Lustig’s four C’s:
- Connect with people—empathy is essential to a healthy lifestyle.
- Contribute to something bigger than you.
- Cope: Get consistent sleep, practice mindfulness, and routinely exercise.
- Cook for yourself, your family, and friends. This way, you know what is in your diet.
THE TRUTH BARREL EPISODE ARCHIVE:
John Salley (Part 2): The journey from NBA Champion to Vegan Gangster
NBA Champion John Salley on Getting Over Anger, Unhealthy Habits, & Self-Sabotage
Braveheart screenwriter Randall Wallace on living with integrity
How to Breathe for Maximum Health, Performance, and Relaxation (Plus Demonstrations), with Patrick McKeown
Somatic sexologist Jaiya Ma on Discovering Your Erotic Sexual Blueprint
Light Watkins on Meditation, Happiness, and Life After Death
Marvel actor Frank Grillo on persistence and discipline
Rapper Mikey Mike on how he scammed his way into getting a Grammy
Cleaning Up the Planet with legendary adventurer Alison Teal
Life inside an LA Sex Dungeon and opening the door to your secret fantasies with author Jenny Nordbak
Terrell Owens, NFL legend, on anti-aging, stem cell research, and becoming your own person, Part 2
Terrell Owens, NFL wide receiver, on Extreme Achievement and Confidence, Part 1
How to Handle Bullies: From the Playground to Adulthood
Genetics Researcher, Dr. Dan Reardon
Art of Charm’s Jordan Harbinger
Matt Skiba of Blink 182
Solving Listener Dilemmas with Neil and Gabby
21-Year-Old Entrepreneur Jared Kleinert
Sex at Dawn author Dr. Christopher Ryan
Scott Carney, Investigative Journalist
Drummer Frank Zummo on the Rise to Rockstar Fame
Dr. Kelly Starrett on Best Practices for Daily Activities
Nick Ekbatani on What It Takes to Survive Tragedy
Michele Paradise on NLP & Psychological Healing
Kevin Reeve on Surviving Disasters, Revolutions, and the Apocalypse
Kai Nygard on The Cutting Edge of Longevity Research
Darin Olien Reveals The Truth About Superfoods
84 Hacks, Systems, and Gifts To Massively Improve Your Life – Gabby and Neil
Raising Children Without a Power Struggle and Building Healthy Relationships with Hand in Hand Parenting
The Acting Discipline and Raising a Child with Special Needs with John C. McGinley
Rethinking Medical Care & Childhood Vaccinations with Dr. Jay Gordon and Jake Peters
Changing Your Habitat for Better Health with John Durant, Part 2
Changing Your Habitat for Better Health with John Durant, Part 1
Laird Hamilton and Greg Long on Re-Evaluating Death to Improve Performance
Surviving Death with Marc Weingarten & Larry Miller
Mark Healey on Facing Fear, Surviving Shark Attacks, & Extreme Breath Holding