Max Landis is one of the most sought-after screenwriters in Hollywood. From his first big film Chronicle to his upcoming Bright, with Will Smith to his classic YouTube video Wrestling Isn’t Wrestling, Landis is also one of Hollywood’s most prolific screenwriters.
In this episode, Max shares an equally large pile of advice, introspection and reflection about the tension between the struggle to create art and the demands to compromise it to make a living.
This is a must-listen episode for any writer out there, as well as anyone who has ever doubted their own talents. And they discuss the question, “If you know yourself, does your art change?”
In this episode, you will learn:
- How to divorce yourself from your art when selling it.
- The mindset to have when facing unexpected and unwelcome changes.
- The four types of screenwriters.
- How to avoid the seductiveness of cynicism.
- Max’s secret screenwriting techniques, and what he always does on the first page of every screenplay
- The one thing to avoid when re-branding yourself.
- What the open loop is and why it’s paramount to great storytelling
- Why humans love surprises and how to train their emotions.
Director and screenwriter Max Landis returns to The Truth Barrel for part 2 of his energetic and informative interview on writing scripts and getting movies made. This time, Max discusses the brutal process of pitch meetings, why pitching a script is infinitely more challenging than a first date, and advice that will help you during your next dreaded work “meeting.” Max also shares a detail about an upcoming film that he’s never revealed publicly before…
In this episode you will learn…
- How Max would have pitched Star Wars.
- The best advice on pitching films that Max has never given before.
- What to look for when picking your creative partners.
- When compromise is victory.
- How to handle bad feedback from superiors.
- The importance of organic communication and “the note behind the note.”
- Why you should talk about your scripts as if they are movies you have seen.
- How to curate a great reading experience.
- How to recognize your own false self-diagnoses.
- How to avoid over-selling something.
- And Neil and Gabby discuss what they have learned together about their respective interviewing processes as co-hosts in their first fifty episodes of The Truth Barrel.
THE TRUTH BARREL EPISODE ARCHIVE:
PostSecret’s Frank Warren on Exposing Your Deepest Secrets and Desires
Sex Expert Emily Morse on prioritizing sex and asking for what you want
Lessons on Recovery and Redemption from Bankruptcy and the Brink of Suicide with Asher Gottesman
Joakim Noah of the NBA Knicks in a rare and exclusive pre-season interview
Comedian & Actor Jay Mohr
The Art of Being Human with Neil and Gabby
Comedian Danny Lobell on the Art of Storytelling
Danny Cipriani – Life and Times of a Rugby Legend, Part 2
Rugby Star Danny Cipriani Opens Up On His Life On and Off the Field
Sex Guru Reid Mihalko on Casual Sex Protocols & Asking for What You Want
Rashard Mendenhall on the Transition from Super Bowl Champion to Ballers TV-Show Writer
The Ultimate Interview with Dr. Robert Lustig on What You Eat and Why You’ve Been Programmed to Eat It
John Salley (Part 2): The journey from NBA Champion to Vegan Gangster
NBA Champion John Salley on Getting Over Anger, Unhealthy Habits, & Self-Sabotage
Braveheart screenwriter Randall Wallace on living with integrity
How to Breathe for Maximum Health, Performance, and Relaxation (Plus Demonstrations), with Patrick McKeown
Somatic sexologist Jaiya Ma on Discovering Your Erotic Sexual Blueprint
Light Watkins on Meditation, Happiness, and Life After Death
Marvel actor Frank Grillo on persistence and discipline
Rapper Mikey Mike on how he scammed his way into getting a Grammy
Cleaning Up the Planet with legendary adventurer Alison Teal
Life inside an LA Sex Dungeon and opening the door to your secret fantasies with author Jenny Nordbak
Terrell Owens, NFL legend, on anti-aging, stem cell research, and becoming your own person, Part 2
Terrell Owens, NFL wide receiver, on Extreme Achievement and Confidence, Part 1
How to Handle Bullies: From the Playground to Adulthood
Genetics Researcher, Dr. Dan Reardon
Art of Charm’s Jordan Harbinger
Matt Skiba of Blink 182
Solving Listener Dilemmas with Neil and Gabby
21-Year-Old Entrepreneur Jared Kleinert
Sex at Dawn author Dr. Christopher Ryan
Scott Carney, Investigative Journalist
Drummer Frank Zummo on the Rise to Rockstar Fame
Dr. Kelly Starrett on Best Practices for Daily Activities
Nick Ekbatani on What It Takes to Survive Tragedy
Michele Paradise on NLP & Psychological Healing
Kevin Reeve on Surviving Disasters, Revolutions, and the Apocalypse
Kai Nygard on The Cutting Edge of Longevity Research
Darin Olien Reveals The Truth About Superfoods
84 Hacks, Systems, and Gifts To Massively Improve Your Life – Gabby and Neil
Raising Children Without a Power Struggle and Building Healthy Relationships with Hand in Hand Parenting
The Acting Discipline and Raising a Child with Special Needs with John C. McGinley
Rethinking Medical Care & Childhood Vaccinations with Dr. Jay Gordon and Jake Peters
Changing Your Habitat for Better Health with John Durant, Part 2
Changing Your Habitat for Better Health with John Durant, Part 1
Laird Hamilton and Greg Long on Re-Evaluating Death to Improve Performance
Surviving Death with Marc Weingarten & Larry Miller
Mark Healey on Facing Fear, Surviving Shark Attacks, & Extreme Breath Holding